Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reading Tom Jones...

...by Henry Fielding, with an occasional break for Greg Pak Hulk and Samm Schwartz Jughead comic books.

I like this aside, in Volume I, Book I, Chapter II: "Reader, I think proper, before we proceed any farther together, to acquaint thee that I intend to digress, through this whole history, as often as I see occasion, of which I am myself a better judge than any pitiful critic whatever; and here I must desire all those critics to mind their own business, and not to intermeddle with affairs or works which no ways concern them..."
Pin It

1 comment:

e1e2t3 said...

I believe it is Lawrence Sterne in "Tristram Shandy", who said something to effect of : "The best part of any book is its digressions, so this book must be great since it's all digression."
Tom Jones may be may favorite book of all time! Let's hear more!