Saturday, June 19, 2010

FedEx and Copy Quality: Words That Should Go Together


For nearly 25 years I've been publishing B&W minicomics on cardstock using copy machines at various FedEx Office locations (previously FedEx Kinkos; previously, before that, Kinkos).

The self-serve copy machines at those locations did, at one time, produce deep, rich, black areas in artwork, an especially important necessity for my noirish, shadow-filled, atmospheric storytelling.
The visual quality produced by the B&W copy machines I've used at FedEx has gotten worse over the years, but has now, in my experience, hit a new low. I can no longer attain high quality results from the machines there and may have to discontinue my minicomics publishing until I can find a reliable copying source.

An example: the first crop above is a close-up from Michael Neno's Dream, copied several years ago on a copy machine at FedEx. The black areas are solid and rich.

The second crop is the same close-up from a copy attempted this week at FedEx. The black areas are a splotchy grey. The new machines being used at the FedEx locations I've visited are the kind that produce dark greys regardless of how dark the machine is set.

An employee at the location I most recently visited told me the B&W copy machines behind the counter (used by employees) are no better than the ones in front.

Ironically, the awnings which used to say Kinkos were forlornly
stacked up in the hot grass behind the store, waiting to be taken away and trashed.
Pin It

No comments: